Monday, January 26, 2009

Modern Conveniences

This weekend has been quite an experience.
Thursday: our landlord came and fixed our heat. . . turns out that instead of making steam to heat the apartment, there was too much water in the thing so we were just boiling water all day long. He also took a look at the unit in my room and fixed it. For the first time this winter it actually got hot. It was the best day ever!
Friday: heat! It's a wonderful thing. Our house actually got into the high 60's (which is so much better than 54 degrees!)
Saturday: Water heater explodes, flooding the basement, and making it impossible for us to take showers. We called the landlord but got no answer. Fun.
Sunday: We woke up and realized that the heat had stopped working completely, not just a little, but completely. It was all of 37 degrees in my room (which technically is cold enough to make snow under certain conditions. . . cool, I woke up in a winter wonderland) On top of it, our hot water was still out and being that it was only 11 degrees outside our cold water was actually almost frozen water. It was so much fun. I spent a good portion of the morning boiling water so I could take some semblance of a shower/sponge bath. Sadly that made me late for church. Our landlord finally called us back, but since it was Sunday couldn't do anything but shut off the waterline going to the hot water heater. In the evening we had people over for dinner, which was a chore because we had to boil water to wash dishes otherwise we couldn't stand to put our hands in the water. We also had to eat in the kitchen so we could be warm enough. Overall, it was quite the experience. Finally around 8pm our heater decided it knew how to turn on again, so we went to bed in warm rooms, and woke up to a warm house!
Monday: Our landlord is currently in our basement replacing our water heater. HOORAY!
Overall it has been quite the experience, I realized that the things I learned on my mission which I never thought I would use come in pretty handy. I know how to take a shower with 5 gallons of water, I know how to do laundry in a bucket, I know how to heat an apartment with a stove, all sorts of things. Experiences like this make me thankful for modern conveniences.

2 comments:

Jessica Newman said...

Our furnace went out while we were living in Utah. I had Max all dressed in his snow clothes inside the house! I hate being cold. I am so ready for spring! (Why did I ever leave California!?)

The Carroll's said...

WOW! A modern day pioneer. You made due with what you had!!
I can NOT imagine not having heat. Granted I live in AZ where the low gets to about 55, and inside it's 65. I do love the Summer's here. I am hot weather girl through and through.

I am so glad that the heater decided to turn back on!