Saturday, January 24, 2009

Random Acts of Kindness

Once in a while, but far more often than one would think possible in a big city in this day and age, I find myself overwhelmed by the little kindnesses people show.
This week I have been astonished at how many people have shown me that people aren't all bad. Wednesday I got off the T at Government Center, and as everyone was pushing and shoving to get by (the T was being taken out of service so literally everyone was getting off) one young man stepped back and invited me to pass him as we were going out the door. I know it was no big deal for him. It cost him a mere second of his life to smile, and say "go ahead" and yet, it made my day. Something so small, so simple, and yet so meaningful.
Today, I decided to take the fast way to where I was going, even if it was going to cost me $1.25 (toll roads...so fun) to get there. I had a dollar and found two dimes and a nickle, but as I was slowing down to go through the toll booth, I dropped a dime, and was searching frantically for it. I looked up as the person in front of me pulled away. I opened my wallet to find another dollar so that I wouldn't have to break a 20. As I did the man in the tollbooth waved me forward. "that's odd I thought to myself. . . usually they don't wave me forward. . . I must have been sitting here longer than I had thought." I rolled down my window, and he said "go ahead, the people in the car ahead of you just payed your toll" "wow" I thought. That was so nice of them. They had no idea that I couldn't find the 25 cents. They did something so kind for a complete stranger. It made my day.
As I drove on down the freeway (for it truly was a freeway today, being that I didn't have to pay) I thought to myself about the little things people do for me on a daily basis, some that I recognize, some that I don't. How often do I do things for others? How often do I make the day of a complete stranger? How often do I preform random acts of kindness?

1 comment:

Jessica Newman said...

I am a big fan of the said, Random Acts of Kindness. There is something so wonderful about those little things, whether we are the recipient or the giver.