Tuesday, October 14, 2008

On Kindness

So, as the world is overwhelmed with the horrible news of the stock market plummeting, banks going under, terrorism, killings, etc. I find that the world is not all bad.
Today I got off the T (subway) in the middle of Boston and watched the crowds rush in and out of the station, each person going about his business... most shopping, or taking lunch, or going somewhere to visit someone... one man stood apart from the rest. Two crumpled dollar bills clutched in his hand this man stood in the center of a room full of people. Aside from a look of panic and terror on his face there was nothing to distinguish him from the rest. As he paced back and forth near the automated ticket machines, occasionally walking up to someone only to turn around again, he caught my eye and I wondered what he was doing. I could see that he was distressed, and yet I did not think to help. Then, I heard a warm and friendly voice at my side as the ticket attendant took him by the hand and said, "Can you remember how to use the machines?" and I realized that this man, all alone in a crowded T stop, must have had some sort of mental impairment. As he handed her the money the woman continued, "No, sorry I'm not going to do it for you, but I will show you how, that way when I am not here, you will be able to buy your ticket alone." Her voice was one of calm assurance, she did not sound annoyed as she showed the man what he was to do. It was obvious that this was not the first time this had occurred, and instead of becoming annoyed, she had taken the time, yet again, to show him how to buy his ticket. I know it wasn't much, but as I sit here in my living room, tears stream down my face as I think of the kindness of that one woman, and realize that she is not alone. There are countless others, all doing small acts of kindness, some without even thinking, which brighten each day, and make it worth living. I watch daily as people still give up their seat on a crowded car so that someone more feeble than them can rest. I see people smile, a ray of hope in a dark world. I watch as someone lends a helping hand, for no other reason than that they want to. I realize this world is not all darkness, its not all selfishness, its not all suffering. This world is a world of brightness, of hope, of love... even if sometimes its streaked with sorrow.

1 comment:

The Carroll's said...

Catherine- what a great experience! I love witnessing small wonderful things like that!