Monday, November 3, 2008

Different Perspectives

So I am sitting here on the T (I just realized my life must revolve heavily around the T because I seem to be talking about it in 9 of every 10 of my blog posts) thinking about how wonderful it is. I happened to get on the best train ever tonight, the big window in the front of the cab is stretched before me and I can see the beautifully, intriguing labyrinth stretch before me. Tunnels merging and diverging one after another, bulbs casting strange forms on the walls in slightly orange light, lines of electric cables scurrying across the walls, beautiful. I guess I haven’t thought of how beautiful functionality can be.I have often thought “I wish this train would go faster,” or “I hate how it seems that the C train and the D train and even the E train come faster than mine, the B train, and yet today, all I can think is how thankful I am to have this public transportation. I can’t believe how much time, and money, and stress it saves me. Then... I listen. The people next to me are complaining... “I didn’t miss this about Boston.” “It is the s***iest system in the world” “Murphy's law always applies on the T, your train is never the first to come, you always have to wait forever, and then even if it is the first train to come, it never makes up for all the times you have to wait forever till your train comes. I can’t stand it.” Strange I think... they arrived after me to wait for the train tonight... yeah it took about 10 minutes, but hey, it came. And... and, there were seats. Besides, it is the best bit of culture I get here... the accents... the languages... it is like heaven on earth. I love the T. Odd how people sitting on the same train can have such different perspectives.

No comments: