Friday, November 14, 2008

Grace of God

So I am thankful for my blessings, the way the Lord works in mysterious ways. This morning I was on time getting ready. I was dressed with hair done, makeup on, and coat buttoned up at 8:00. Though this is a strange occurrence I figured that I had time to wait for JM to get ready and come with me so we could sit on the T together. I thought to myself that it would be a far more favorable ride if my sidekick was... well... by my side. I waited and we got off about 10 minutes later than I would have wanted, but hey, there was still plenty of time to get to school. I prayed as we ran down the stairs that I would be able to get to clinic on time, and that I would even have time to spare to run up to check my mailbox. Everything went so smoothly. We got to the t-stop and only had to wait 2 minutes. The ride was fast, and enjoyable as we talked about who knows what. JM got off at Boston University East at 8:31, way ahead of schedule. "Hooray" I thought, "I am going to be a good 15 minutes early." as we descended into Kenmore I said a prayer of thanks that the T was running so smoothly today. Hynes Convention Center virtually flew past, we squeeled into Copely at 8:39. Good... early... so much less stress! "Next stop, Arlington, doors will open on the right" said the T voice, and I breathed a sigh of relief, and then we stopped. No big deal I though... happens all the time, we must be waiting for the other one to leave the station. The conductor's radio seemed to be going nutts... everyone talking... "this train is a test train, no passangers will be allowed on or off" said the T-voice on my train... "ha ha ha" everyone laughed... Wow this is taking longer than usual... "ladies and gentelmen we are sorry to report there has been an accident at the Boylston T-stop and we are unable to move" I tune into what the radio is saying in the conductor's booth (I happened to sit up there today). "Two train collision. . . I hear screaming and static from somewhere on the line. . . multiple injuries. . . should we evacuate the trains. . . ambulance on its way. . . its really bad . . ." uh oh... what is wrong. Everyone in the train starts to grumble about having to be somewhere, do something. Gosh dang it I think... for once I am going to be early instead of just getting there in time... and now this. 40 minutes pass... and I realize... if I had left my house 10 minutes earlier when I had wanted to... I would have been on that train... how can I complain about being a half hour late to clinic when by the grace of God I am whole?

2 comments:

The Carroll's said...

Isn't it amazing, 10 minutes and your whole life could have been different. I am glad that you are ok! Thank heavens for late roommates!

Jessica Newman said...

Catherine! my brother Josh is engaged. Crazy! (we knew it would happen though, remember when we met Stephenie at the Christmas party last year!)